I belong to a writers group and each month we pick a prompt or topic to write about. Last month was “One thing I have Yet To Do Or Want To Do But Haven’t Done”. This is what I wrote.
I’m not sure I can name one thing I want to do, there are so many.
I want to:
– write a book about my life – a memoir maybe.
– make at least another 2 or 3 books of my photos.
– travel to Africa, China, South America, Hawaii and several more places.
I’ve lived a full and fulfilling life. I’ve had romances and lovers and husbands. I’ve traveled to numerous places. I’ve overcome challenges, obstacles, fears and life threatening health issues.
Almost every day, I try to brighten the lives or days of people on Facebook by posting and sharing my photos of the beauty of the world. I’ve given my photos away to charitable organizations, and I hope to continue to do both for a long time.
I’ve volunteered for and donated to several organizations including LifeCare Alliance (Meals on Wheels), Dublin A.M. Rotary and the Rotary Foundation.
So one thing that I want to do – nah. Innumerable things – yeah.
But deep down inside me, it all narrows down to one or two things:
– One – Leaving a legacy – something that says “Roberta was here and she made a difference”
– And two – Furthering and enriching the growth of my soul with experiences and knowledge. I believe in reincarnation, and I have to believe that the suffering I’ve endured was for the growth of my soul.
In the spirit of both of those things – leaving a legacy and enriching my soul, I have signed up to volunteer for two weeks in Cuba in January 2018. I will be working with the Cuban people to teach English and also working with seniors. I’m excited to be able to do this, and I’m looking forward to making a difference and to getting some great photographs.
So I will end there with those two things that I want to continue to do….
© Roberta Kayne 2017
Photo of the Merced River at Yosemite National Park at Sunset
All Rights Reserved